Tuesday, December 4, 2007

New Age Christianity

Did you ever wonder why "churchy" people get so freaked out by anything new age? I used to be one of those churchy people who thought new age stuff was of the devil. Then one day God opened a door that changed my life as I walked through it step by step. The churchy people tend to think it was an act of Satan, but here's the caveat: Satan isn't capable of doing good, and many good things have come about as a result of this change in my life.

First of all, what is New Age? Wikipedia has some interesting thoughts, but apparently New Age is kind of tough to define. It encompasses a lot of things, some of which I don't agree with. That's okay. I don't have to agree with everything and everybody everytime I encounter something to benefit from it's offerings. I had a preacher during my churchy days that used to say, "Eat the meat and leave the bones." In other words, take the good stuff and ignore that which is a little tough to swallow.

The good stuff is the part of New Age that says you become what you think about and focus on. Gee....if that is such a bad thing, then I guess once again, Jesus doesn't fit in with the churchy people. Jesus was, after all, the epitomy of new age. He hung out with a bunch of guys kind of commune-style. He wore those funky toga-like things and sandals. He talked about energy leaving his body (see woman with issue of blood story), and my personal favorite, that part during his sermon on the mount where he tells people that whatever think in their heart is who and what they are.

Then there is all that stuff about faith to move mountains, and that story about dead dudes and Jesus being transfigured. What was that if it wasn't New Age? Sounds like some energetic spirits making themselves visible. Oh, yeah, right....according to churchy types, that was a miracle from God to show the apostles Jesus power and authority. Besides, God doesn't need to do that sort of stuff anymore. He's got nothing left to prove and no one left to convince. Yeah, right. Anyone seen the news lately?

And that part where he told people they and their sons and daughters would do greater things than even He did......I want some of that. Sounds pretty new age to me.

Did Jesus worship stars or bow before a statue? No, not that I am aware of. Did he teach people about nature and lessons to be learned from its cycles? Yep. Did he talk about attitude and heart and passion? Was he into healing and the power of thought and mind over matter (calming the sea)? Uh-huh. Jesus was New Age before New Age existed. Maybe we aren't truly "Christ"ian unless we are a little New Age.

Put that in a 1970's era bong and smoke on it for awhile. :-)

No comments: